Our comprehensive course methodically takes you through the lifecycle of coffee from seedling to processing, to the basics of roasting, and to profile roasting. Every coffee is unique. The varietal of the coffee, the elevation where the coffee is grown, cultivation techniques, processing methods, bean size and density, soil composition, and moisture content all contribute to the taste and aroma of the final product.
With hands-on roasting you learn the fundamentals of coffee roasting and the fine points of developing roast profiles. A refined roast profile brings out a coffee’s true expression and fulfills our responsibilities, and to those who grow coffee and to our customers.
After achieving a level of comfort with controlling the roast, attendees participate in a methodical step-by-step process of roasting and cupping, evaluating every aspect of a coffee’s flavor profile in a structured process of determining the best roast profile for an individual coffee.
Instruction given by a qualified Green Bean Importer and other Diedrich personnel.
Sessions normally run 9:00 a.m. to 5:30-6:00 p.m. each day. Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
Sorry, no cameras or video recorders in the warehouse or on the shop floor please.
A general outline of the three-day seminar is as follows:
- Welcome and introductions
- Seed to cup presentation
- Cupping and buying presentation
- Roaster technologies: Basics of heat transfer
- ROASTING 1: Roasting familiarization
- Cleaning and maintenance of roaster overview
- Review, profile development, techniques, production
- Diedrich Manufacturing facility tour
- ROASTING 2: Roasting familiarization continuation
- ROASTING 3: Four (4) degrees of roast with same times
- CUPPING 1: Degree of roast cupping
- ROASTING 4: Same degree with four (4) different time profiles
- CUPPING 2: Time profiles
- ROASTING 5: Same color and times with four (4) different temperature profiles
- CUPPING 3: Temperature profiles
- ROASTING 6: Optimum profile with differing air profiles
- CUPPING 4: Air profiles
- Debriefing, questions, comments
Class size is limited to 12 in order to best serve those attending the course.
Diedrich Manufacturing reserves the right to cancel seminars two weeks prior to seminar date. Canceling a seminar rarely happens but if this occurs notice will be given immediately. Any costs incurred by prospective attendees are not recoverable from Diedrich Manufacturing, Inc. so we strongly recommend booking “refundable” airline tickets.